The food guide pyramid is a guide to foods in the different food groups that you should eat each day. It shows how to choose the diet that is right for you by combining servings from the main food groups.
Click on different parts of the pyramid to learn more about each food group.
It is shaped like a pyramid to show the amount of food from each group that you need for a healthy diet. The foods in the largest slices on the pyramid should make up the largest part of your diet. The foods in the smallest slices should make up a smaller part of your diet. Daily servings from each section of the food pyramid are important to insure a healthy diet. You should keep these tips in mind when you plan your daily diet:
- Make half your grains whole (Most people need 6 daily servings. Make at least 3 servings whole grains!)
- Vary your veggies! Choose plenty of fresh, seasonal favorites. Be bold and try something new. You may like it!
- Focus on fruit – fruit (rather than juice) is a major source of fiber, and tastes great besides!
- Get your calcium rich foods – strong bones, strong teeth, really important!
- Go lean with protein – watch those saturated fats!
- Balance your food intake with physical activity – Don't be a couch potato! Get out and live!